Oceanweather Inc. (OWI) was formed in May 1977 as a small business and established an office in White Plains, NY. The original principals in the company, Dr. Vince J. Cardone, Dr. J. Arthur Greenwood and Ms. C. V. Greenwood, had worked together on federally sponsored research programs at New York University and the City University of New York where Dr. Cardone was Associate Professor of Meteorology and Oceanography.

Vince Cardone and Arthur Greenwood – Cos Cob Office 1989

In the first two years of operation, about 80% of OWI’s support consisted of research grants from NASA, NOAA, and the U.S. Navy that had been transferred from the University to OWI by Dr. Cardone. The remaining 20% consisted of consulting contracts from the major international oil companies. Thereafter, while the government funded work was maintained at a stable level of support, the offshore industry and coastal engineering industry supported work grew to constitute the major share of revenues by the early 1980’s.

In 1983 OWI moved to Cos Cob, CT to accommodate increased staff and a fully configured super-minicomputer installation. At the same time OWI added a real-time forecasting division to its business in response to pressure from several major international oil companies to apply its high-level technology to ocean wind and wave prediction.

OWI at Cos Cob in 2009 during the release of GOMOS 2008

In the mid-1990’s, the Company made a strategic decision to augment its commissioned project by project consulting service with in-house studies for marine areas and basins of interest to the industry. These “speculative” products are offered on a site-specific basis subject to a licensing agreement; the first product was offered in 1997. As this portion of the business grew, OWI’s competitors began to use OWI’s data and perform their own analyses and reports.

The 2000’s saw an expansion of tropical/hurricane analysis and hindcasting following the devastation of Hurricane Katrina. OWI was a part of the US Corps of Engineers Interagency Performance Evaluation Task Force (IPET) which led to the development of the Joint Probability Method (JPM) applied in the modeling updates of US coastline flood mapping by FEMA. OWI released a major update to its Gulf of Mexico hindcast, GOMOS, which has become the industry standard for offshore design.

In 2016, OWI moved to its present location on Bedford Street in Stamford, CT. Our core work in support of governmental, offshore oil and gas, and coastal engineering firms continues while the company has expanded research and services for the offshore renewable energy industry.

As the company turns 45, we are proud to continue the work and contributions to the Metocean community in honor of our company founders.

OWI at Stamford in 2018 - also pictured Sandy Cardone and Henry Chen (both center-front)